Friday, June 24, 2011

"Spook" Student Film Shot in the JOCL

As a huge movie buff, I've always wanted to try my hand at writing and directing my own film. I got my chance this month when taking ODU's "Intro to Digital Filmmaking" class. After writing a script, drawing storyboards, and recruiting actors, I was ready to shoot my first short film.

Armed with an idea and some camera equipment, my friends and I took to the library last Saturday to bring it all to life.

I chose to shoot in the JOCL because of it's dramatic aisles, great lighting and sometimes spooky silence. In fact, it completely set the eerie mood for my attempt at a horror movie.

The library was also a great resource for props and tools for the shoot. For several of the shots, we place the camera on a book cart, creating a smooth way to capture footage as we traveled down the aisles.

As you'll see in the film, books seem to fall off of shelves on their own accord. I should note that no part of the JOCL collection was harmed in the making of this film.

Though the film is far from perfect, I had a lot of fun bringing what started as a story in my head to life. For my first short, I'm pretty happy with the results. It's truly a gratifying experience, one I recommend all movie buffs try at least once!

- Chelsea DeAngio

No comments:

Post a Comment