Friday, September 18, 2009

New York Through My Eyes


During the summer, we asked Interns Emma, Gabrielle, Brendan and Jessica to create a virtual collection by collecting digital images of some aspect of the library collection to be decided by them. For example, they could collect images of bookplates in the collection, of details on binding, books with funny titles, or books on a particular subject – the possibilities were endless. On July 31, at the Library Open House, each collection was presented. In the coming weeks, we’ll be posting each intern’s collection along with a few other posts they created during their time in the Library.



This week’s collection comes from Emma Tisdale who is a student at New York University. Emma described her collection “New York Through My Eyes” as follows:


"The beautiful thing about New York City is that it is the kind of place that can be seen through many different perspectives. A tourist may only see the crowded streets of Times Square while a businessman sees the opportunity for success on Wall Street. A high school drama student may see the city as a place where her dreams of fame could come true. A boy who is misunderstood or ashamed in his own skin could see New York as a place of acceptance. My personal view of New York, which is reflected through the images in my collection, is that of a college student living in Lower Manhattan. I searched for scenes with which I am familiar, such as the marketplace in Union Square, the wildly painted buildings in the Village, and the pedestrians relaxing in Washington Square Park. I also included some older photographs of the New York City’s older architecture, paintings of a green Central Park, and an image of my favorite bookstore. These are the things that I see not only throughout my daily life at school but in my mind as I daydream of New York. My perspective is not one of glamour or crowds. It is just my personal view of the diverse city that has become my home. "


You can view all of the images in Emma's Collection here.

No comments:

Post a Comment