Friday, April 22, 2011

Ten Things You Never Knew About the Jean Outland Chrysler Library

     You always learn new things when starting a new job, but my first three weeks here at the Chrysler Art Museum Library have been even more enlightening than usual. Whether I’m discovering the wonders of copy cataloging or sampling the multitude of treats brought in for staff meetings, there’s never a dull moment. Here are the top ten things I've learned as a new employee.

10) Art auctions are happening all the time. One of my duties as special project librarian is to collect the weekly auction catalogs and periodicals as they come in the mail. As an art world newbie, I had no idea Christie’s, Sotheby’s and other auction houses hosted sales practically every day. Who knew there was such a market for expensive collectors’ items – like this cobra lamp?


This cobra lamp recently sold at a decorative arts auction for over $20,000. 

9) Hardly anyone knows our library exists. I can’t fault them – I myself had visited the Chrysler many times without noticing the library. But the funny part about no one knowing we exist leads me to my next point…

8) We give lots of tours. Once people do discover the library’s existence, they want to know anything and everything about our collections. And who wouldn’t? Still, it never fails to crack me up, hearing Laura give the same tour over and over to everyone from new gallery hosts to homeschooled children. Not surprisingly, all groups are easily impressed by anything really old in the collection.

7) The library has old stuff. Really old stuff. In fact, the oldest item in our collection is an illuminated manuscript from Persia allegedly dating back to the 1480’s. It could come in handy for a research paper or project – but only if you can read the early dialect of Arabic it’s written in.

6) The Chrysler staff eats. A lot. Or maybe I’ve just started at a good time? Since my first day 3 weeks ago, I’ve had the following at various staff gatherings: bagels, fruit, cheese danishes, ice cream, cupcakes, cheese and crackers, cookies, carrots and ranch from a veggie platter, and, in light of Easter this weekend, chocolate from the Easter Bunny himself. Not coincidentally, my waistline is expanding almost as rapidly as my mind.

5) Robert E. Lee should’ve worked on his penmanship. Or at least hired a secretary with nicer handwriting. The new exhibition in the reading room display case features Civil War documents from the famous general, and I’ve been struggling to make out what Lee and his compatriots were writing all those years ago. Seriously, didn’t ol’ Robert know that 150 years from now, I’d be trying to transcribe his letter to a fellow general? It’s true, handwriting styles change over time, but that doesn’t make my job any easier!


Letter written by Robert E. Lee (or at the very least, his secretary). Can you make out what he writes?


4) The art world is fascinated with the human body. I knew the ancient Greeks and Romans were obsessed with nude statues, but modern artists are giving them a run for their money. I’m never far from a book or magazine with a half-naked figure on the cover. It’s tasteful, sure, but kind of repetitive, if you ask me.

3) Sleeves are a must at the Jean Outland library. The temperature hovers at around 65 degrees in here, year round. As the weather outside warms up, I’m considering bringing an indoor outfit and an outdoor outfit with me to work. The walk to the parking lot in a jacket and long pants works up a sweat, but shivering in a sun dress isn’t an option, either!

2) Coming up with witty blog posts is tough, but somebody has to do it. Writing things that are both informative and entertaining is harder than it looks.

1) If it’s a Friday afternoon, and there’s traffic on Olney, it’s probably time to hit the road. With that in mind...

Have a great Earth Day and a happy Easter!

Chelsea DeAngio
Special Project Librarian

1 comment:

  1. As a former intern of the Chrysler who spent two summer months in the JOCLibrary, I must agree with at least two points :
    6) The Chrysler staff eats.
    3) Sleeves are a must at the Jean Outland library.
    Having thought exactly the same, I am glad to see some things don't change there.

    Frédéric M.

    ReplyDelete